Table of Contents
There are thirty-seven states in the United State that allow the sale of cannabis for medical purposes. One of these is the great state of Maryland.
If you believe that marijuana could help to treat the symptoms of a medical condition that you have, you might be curious to learn whether just anyone can walk into a dispensary and buy medical marijuana in the state of Maryland.
While there are a number of states that have legalized recreational marijuana, Maryland is not one of them.
Let’s take a look at what you need to know about medical marijuana in the Free State.
Who Can Buy Medical Marijuana in Maryland?
Not everyone can buy medical marijuana in Maryland. According to the medical marijuana laws in Maryland, certain people can qualify for medical marijuana depending on their existing medical conditions. The following groups might be eligible for medical cannabis in Maryland:
- Patients who suffer from a chronic or debilitating medical disease that are receiving palliative care or who have been admitted to hospice
- Patients that have a chronic or debilitating disease that have symptoms including anorexia, severe nausea, cachexia, wasting syndrome, seizures, chronic pain, or ongoing or severe muscle spasms
- People that have any of the above symptoms as a result of medical treatment
- People that have post-traumatic stress disorder or glaucoma
- Patients that have an acute condition for which other treatments have been ineffective
It’s worth understanding that not just anyone can buy medical marijuana in Maryland.
Where to Buy Medical Marijuana
There are a number of marijuana dispensaries that have been approved in the state of Maryland. In each of the legislative districts, there can only be two dispensaries and no more. That being said, a dispensary license can also be held by licensed growers.
How to Get a Medical Marijuana Card
In the state of Maryland, you will need to get a written certification in order to be eligible for medical marijuana. In order to get this certification, you have to register as a patient online with the Maryland Medical Cannabis Commission.
When you register online, you will need to submit a number of things, including:
- An electronic copy of an ID issued by the government, such as a driver’s license, a military ID or a passport
- A proof of your address
- The last four digits of your social security card
- A recent photo that is clearly the same person as the patient applying
For patients that are under the age of 18, a parent or legal guardian that is over 21 years old will need to register as a caregiver.
To learn more, check out www.amedicanna.com.
Maryland Medical Marijuana
After you register online, you will need to get a written certification from a provider that is registered with the Maryland Medical Cannabis Commission. Only at that point can you visit a licensed Maryland dispensary.
Did you find this article about whether you can buy medical marijuana in Maryland helpful? If so, you’ll want to check out the rest of our articles!