A motor carrier certificate is a Federal document that attests to your compliance with FMCSR 366 and FMCSR 387 of Title 49 of the Code of Federal Regulations. This document validates that the MC Number is legitimate and corresponds to the specified Motor Carrier in accordance with all process and insurance agent regulations.

Simplex Group recommends it to be kept on file as well as in all vehicles that operate under the Motor Carrier’s Authority. Whether you wish to apply for the first time or renew a motor carrier certificate, contact an insurance company to help you out. All Motor Carriers having an MC# should retain a copy of the motor carrier certificate on file and in a Commercial Motor Vehicle (CMV) at all times.

Motor Carrier Certificate

Motor Carrier

When a Motor Carrier establishes an Operating Authority, a motor carrier Certificate is issued. It is the obligation of the Motor Carrier to keep duplicates of the motor carrier certificate on file and in all vehicles operating under the carrier’s jurisdiction.

A motor carrier permit (MCP) is required for drivers who transfer property, manage big commercial vehicles, transport hazardous products or operate vehicles that need a commercial driver’s license.

An MCP is required for the following categories of drivers and/or vehicle operations:

  • Any individual or corporate organization who is compensated for moving items in their motor vehicle, no matter what the vehicleโ€™s size, kind or weight is.
  • Firms that move property for a fee and are classified as ‘for-hire’ motor carriers.
  • If you work as a courier and your transportation vehicle is a motorbike, you must have an MCP.
  • In general, any individual or corporation using a commercial vehicle with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of 10,000 pounds or more. This encompasses both commercial and personal use.
  • A ‘personal’ motor carrier is an entity that operates vehicles that transport personal goods or property.
  • Operators of a single vehicle or group of vehicles conveying hazardous items.
  • Operators of a trailer, semi-trailers, motor truck, pipe or pole dollies, logging dollies and auxiliary dollies that are longer than 40 feet when connected together.
  • Operators of any trailer, motor vehicle or a mix of motor vehicles for which a commercial driving license is required.
  • Household goods carriers hauling secondhand office, retail, and institutional equipment and fixtures while operating under a household goods carrier permit issued under PUC Section 5137.

Operators That Require MCP

Operators That Require MCP

There are many other drivers/operators that require an MCP. This also includes:

  • Pickup vehicles having a GVWR of less than 11,500 pounds, an unladen weight of less than 8,001 pounds, and a box-type bed no more than nine feet in length when used for non-commercial purposes.
  • Vehicles that exclusively transport passengers and their luggage.
  • Non-commercially driven two-axle daily rental vehicles with a GVWR of less than 26,001 pounds.
  • Vehicles that are not required to pay car registration costs.
  • Motor trucks or two-axle truck loaders with a GVWR of fewer than 26,001 pounds that are used to pull a camp or service trailer, a fifth-wheel travel trailer, a trailer coach,, or a trailer designed to haul a watercraft and are never used professionally.

New applicants may receive their motor carrier certificate between 20 to 25 business days if there arenโ€™t any further reviews needed. Existing carriers usually have to wait for about 40-60 business days.

You May Also Like