Whether you work in one of the safest states in the country or one that has a high crime rate, we all know that public perception plays a big role in how safe residents feel.
One way to improve these perceptions while also increasing public safety is to invest in a mobile command unit.
Never heard of one of these units before? Not sure why you might want to use one? Read on to learn everything you need to know.
Table of Contents
What Is a Mobile Command Unit?
A mobile command unit is, in essence, a large truck, van, or bus. It looks similar to the type of vehicle you’d see a UPS or FedEx driver using. The similarities stop there, though.
Mobile command vehicles aren’t used for delivering packages or transferring goods to a new location. They’re enhanced with all kinds of technology that allow those using them to stay in contact with others and make strategic plans.
Mobile Command Unit Uses
There are lots of reasons why a mobile command vehicle might be used. The following are some of the most common uses for them:
- Crime Labs: Police departments can use mobile command vehicles to analyze evidence at a crime scene instead of taking it to a lab
- Security for Large Events: For concerts, rallies, and other large events, a mobile command unit makes it easy to keep people safe and monitor situations
- Bomb Units: Mobile command centers can easily be loaded with all the equipment members of a bomb squad need to take care of a situation right away
- Surveillance: For long-term surveillance, a mobile command vehicle simplifies the process
- Temporary Shelter: These vehicles can act as temporary shelter for police officers, firefighters, and other public safety workers during emergencies
Mobile surveillance vehicles also are very useful during search and rescue missions, especially combined with other, more traditional search approaches.
What to Look for in a Mobile Command Center
There are a few key factors that ought to be considered when shopping for a mobile command center. Regardless of the vehicle’s purpose, think about the following factors:
- How much can you afford to spend?
- How much interior space do you need?
- Where will you store it long-term?
- Will you use it off-road or only on surface roads?
- Who will operate the vehicle?
Of course, you’ll also need to take into account the type of technology that will be used while in the vehicle. Cameras? Communication software?
Should You Invest in a Mobile Command Unit?
Now that you know more about what a mobile command unit is and the many uses for one, are you interested in making the investment?
It doesn’t matter if your purchase is for public safety, search and rescue, temporary shelter, or anything else. No matter what your end goal is, keep the tips listed above in mind so you can choose the right unit for your needs.
Don’t forget to check out some of the other safety and security-related articles on our site today for more information and shopping advice.