Table of Contents
Have you ever thought about getting dental implants but not sure if you’re the right candidate? If so, we’re here to help!
There are several life-changing benefits of dental implants aside from the aesthetic they provide.
In this article, we will outline who can get dental implants and the benefits that come along with them
What Are Dental Implants?
Dental implants are an effective, long-lasting option for restoring teeth.
Made from titanium, they are surgically placed in the jaw where they act as replacement teeth.
There are two types of implants that people can choose from – endosteal and subperiosteal.
Endosteal implants are placed in the jawbone while subperiosteal implants are placed on or above the jawbone. While both are meant to improve dental health, the type that you can get is ironically dependent on your dental hygiene.
Who Are They For?
Implants are for anyone who is missing teeth, whether it be hereditary or from an infection.
Ideally, candidates should be in good dental health and have healthy gum tissue in order to receive endosteal implants. Since this procedure goes directly into the jawbone, the gums need to be healthy in order to support the implant.
If you don’t have healthy gums or suffer from periodontal disease, you can still receive dental implants. The subperiosteal option is best for those with dental health problems as it does not require full bone augmentation and places the implants under the gums but not into the jaw.
Benefits of Dental Implants
There are several benefits of getting dental implants that stretch far beyond physical appearance.
- They provide a natural look and feel. Implants act as healthy teeth and should be cared for as such. They are comfortable and can help you keep your natural face shape and smile.
- Long-lasting. Since they behave as normal teeth would, they can last a lifetime with the proper care and maintenance.
- Prevents jawbone deterioration. Implants help to maintain the proper chewing function and keep the jawbone both functioning and healthy.
- Strengthens surrounding teeth. The implementation process allows for your healthy teeth to remain intact which leads to improved oral health.
- Increased confidence. A full set of teeth can boost your self-esteem and give you more confidence when taking pictures and when looking in the mirror.
Are Dental Implants Right For You?
Teeth can oftentimes be taken for granted. You may not brush them as often as you should or floss them the recommended times, but if you lose them it can be extremely devastating.
Oral health conditions are fairly common but they do not have to be the end of the world.
One of the many benefits of dental implants is that it can help everyone who experiences tooth loss. It can serve as a miracle for those who have lost the majority of their teeth and it can improve your overall dental hygiene.
Dental implants not only provide you with an option to restore your smile but they also help to restore your confidence.
Do you have dental implants? Let us know about your experience with them in the comments!