The American Independent News Network, the parent organization of The Florida Independent, is currently looking to hire a media manager in its D.C. office. Details on the position, and how to apply:
The American Independent News Network (AINN) seeks a dynamic individual to manage the promotion of the Network’s amazing reporters and hot breaking stories to outside media, including to press and through social media. The Media Manager’s job will be to spread the word far and wide about AINN’s journalism. This means developing relationships with producers, bloggers, reporters at other outlets, Twitter gurus, and others in the media world who can multiply the reach of our stories.
AINN is a nonprofit online news organization comprised of news sites in eight states and Washington, DC. AINN’s reporters once described themselves as “ink-stained wretches of the digital era.” They are a dedicated, hard-working team that breaks hot political stories nearly every day: stories that impact public debate and advance the common good, stories that move readers to take action, stories that inspire readers to name livestock after our reporters.
There are two primary areas for which you, as Media Manager, will be responsible: outreach to existing media, and managing AINN’s social media strategy. At times, if you are creative about it, the two areas will overlap.
You will be responsible for managing and implementing all outreach to relevant broadcast, print, and online press outlets, organizations, websites, and more. This includes marketing our reporters and their pieces to various news organizations for media pick up. You will work with the editorial team to ensure that stories are being sent to the relevant news outlets. You will be responsible for managing and standardizing social media practices for and across the Network. Wit, flexibility, and innovation are keys to success.
Additionally, as Media Manager, you will
- identify opportunities for outside media coverage of AINN and stories produced through the Network and secure appropriate coverage,
- cultivate and maintain relationships with reporters, producers, and editors,
- ensure the press database is up-to-date and well-organized,
- identify new ways to promote the network and work through social media,
- create and manage social media standards for the network,
- research and implement new social media opportunities,
- work within the publishing department to coordinate collaborative press and outreach strategy,
- work with the editorial department to organize all direct and indirect press citations and appearances,
- promote media appearances by Network representatives as appropriate.
A qualified candidate for Media Manager
- is an effective writer and communicator, understanding how to tailor messaging to different audiences,
- has an existing active online presence,
- works quickly to take advantage of opportunities,
- collaborates effectively and understands why it’s important,
- believes in the strength of online journalism,
- has a college degree and relevant experience that translates to this position.
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. This position reports to the Publisher. This position is based out of the AINNhome office in Washington, DC, where there is a mini-cupcake maker and a combination egg poacher-toaster.
All interested applicants should email their cover letter, resume, and relevant samples of your work to [email protected]. Please use a subject heading that grabs our attention and makes us want to open your email. Please let us know how you learned about the position. Only finalists will be contacted to set interviews.
About the American Independent News Network
The American Independent News Network is a non-profit and non-partisan organization that investigates and disseminates news that impacts public debate and advances the common good. To accomplish its mission, we operate an independent online news network. An informed citizenry is a fundamental principle of civil society and American democracy; in the words of the Supreme Court in Garrison v. Louisiana: “Speech concerning public affairs is more than self-expression; it is the essence of self-government.” Our reporting emphasizes the positive role of the democratically elected government in securing the common good and social welfare, and the continuing benefits of our founding culture of egalitarian government by the people, for the people.
For more about The American Independent News Network, please visit tainews.org.