Table of Contents Hide
Living in one of the major metropolises of the world doesn’t come without its downsides, right? As pointed out by the Washington Post last year and to quote, ‘It doesn’t take a hurricane to cause flooding in Miami anymore. In fact, it doesn’t even take a gust of wind.’ Sea level rise has caused high tides to wash down streets in downtown Miami, especially on a full moon night. It is especially nerve wrecking for property owners in the period between September to November, when the situation goes out of control. Although 2020 has turned many of us into DIYers, water damage restoration is a highly regulated process and you should entrust it to a reliable water damage restoration company in Miami.
Categories of Water Damage
Although floods are just one cause of water damage, it can occur due to any reason including malfunctioning sewer lines or burst pipes. Therefore it is important to understand the source of damage and categorize it accordingly.
Water originating from an in house burst pipe, sprinkler systems, natural sources like rain or any other source which is fit for human ingestion. Such water does not pose a threat to human safety when ingested, inhaled or dermal exposure.
Water originating from a potentially contaminated source such as a ruptured storage tank, detergents, diluted urine etc. Known as ‘gray water’ this type of water contains unsafe levels of microorganisms, potentially harmful chemical or biological agents
Water in this category is ‘grossly contaminated’ and contains harmful pathogenic and toxic agents from sewage damage, flooding seawater and water ingress from sites contaminated with heavy metals and pesticides. This is commonly known as ‘black water’.
Any such situation if neglected might quickly escalate to a more serious category. In any case, moisture laden congested spaces quickly become breeding grounds for molds and other organic pathogens.
Immediate Steps to be taken after a water Damage
- Remove water buildup in the area by mopping and blotting areas of high saturation.
- Expose goods that can be salvaged from water damage to dry air or sunlight
- Closed compartments or cabinets must be opened to dry off. Fabrics must be hung to dry.
- Ceilings and objects kept at elevated areas must be remediated on priority as they can cause further damage or accidents. Sources of leaks should be checked and repaired on an immediate basis.
- Professional services bring along a set of sophisticated tools and restoration equipment like air movers and dehumidifiers that hasten the drying and air scrubbers strip the area of any moldy vapors or smell.
Precautionary steps to take for water damage mitigation
- Constricted spaces like bathrooms, attics or basements and kitchen and other sources of water damage must be regularly inspected for water marks, leaks or mold which are a signal of accumulated moisture or in serious cases a burst pipe.
- Regular inspection of sump pumps should also be undertaken to ensure downspouts are directed away from your property.
- Structural integrity of a building is also compromised due to water damage therefore wooden structures must be waterproofed. Laminated flooring should be used away from areas of heavy water usage.
- Pipes behind old walls must be repaired to meet existing standards to prevent damage.
- After remediation, it is recommended that temperature, humidity, and moisture of your property should be tested to see if it has been restored to normal standards.
These guidelines form the basis of water damage restoration and should not be viewed as comprehensive. Even in case of minor water damages, you must ensure that there are no hidden sources of damage in your area. Entrusting this job to Powerco Miami Water Damage Restoration Company is your best bet to ensure safety of your loved ones.