Every day, Americans throw away 35 million plastic bottles and send 700 thousand tons of trash to landfills. If we could go back in time, though, and reduce that number down to zero, I think it’s safe to say we’d all be glad to do it.

If you’ve ever been concerned about how much you contribute to the world’s waste, then you probably want to spend some time learning more about waste statistics. Once you have an idea of the scope of the problem, it’s much easier to jump in. Do something to ensure you’re helping, not hurting, the environment.

Read on to learn more about some of the most shocking garbage statistics you’ll find.

Everyday Global Waste Statistics

Global Waste Statistics

According to the World Bank, the world produces 2.24 billion tonnes of municipal solid waste every year. Thatโ€™s the equivalent of every person in the world, producing about 1.1 kilograms of waste every day.

Municipal services collect and manage 60% of this waste. The other 40% is by individuals. The collected waste is typically disposed of in landfills, incinerated, or recycled.

The worldโ€™s population has grown by about 2 billion people since 1960. This almost tripled the amount of waste generated each day. This is due to the increase in consumption, particularly in developed countries.

The good news is that the world is making progress in waste management. There has been a significant amount of waste recycled and composted over the past few decades. And, with more effort, the world can continue to make progress in reducing the amount of waste produced each day.

Most Common Types of Waste

Types of Waste

Humans produce an estimated 1.3 billion tonnes of waste each year with 9% recycled. The most common types of global waste are paper, plastic, glass, food, metal, electronics, textiles, and hazardous waste.

Paper waste makes up the largest percentage of global waste at 26%. Followed by plastic waste at 21%, glass at 8%, food at 6%, metal at 5%, electronics at 3%, and textiles at 2%. Hazardous waste accounts for less than 1% of all waste.

Solutions to a Global Waste Problem

Global Waste

Waste is a global problem that needs to be addressed. The good news is that recycling is on the rise. While recycling is on the rise, the majority of waste still ends up in landfills.

Around 91% of waste is either burned or ends up in landfills. Recycling is important, but, it is not the only solution to the world’s waste problem.

Reducing the amount of waste we produce in the first place is also essential. This can be done by reducing our consumption, reusing products, and composting organic waste.

Another way to help reduce the amount of MSW is to use compact bins by Mr-fill.com. These bins can help reduce the amount of waste generated per household by up to 50 percent.

Reduce Your Waste Today

We all know that we should waste less. But it’s hard to change our habits when we don’t know the extent of the problem. These mind-blowing waste statistics show just how big the issue is and how much we need to change our ways.

We can all make a difference by reducing our waste and recycling more. Do your part to help the environment and reduce your waste today.

Start by making small changes in your daily routine, such as carrying a reusable shopping bag and recycling your waste. Every little bit helps!

Keep exploring our site to find more mind-blowing statistics and more.

You May Also Like