Table of Contents
Having pet reptiles is safe and can actually improve your child’s behavior – find out more by reading this article.
In the olden days, owning an exotic pet made people automatically assume that you were a part of some dangerous biker gang with gigantic tattoos that shouldn’t be messed with. Exotic pet owners had their own league back then. However, this scene has drastically changed in recent times.
Pet reptiles have now become like a delicate piece of décor in the homes of many regular people, like you and me. Many parents now consider reptiles as a great choice for a first pet. Having a pet reptile is like hiring a small scaly teacher for your child because they can teach your children a lot of important life lessons.
Out of the diverse variety of reptiles, make sure to pick one that is perfect for you, as they will become the newest member of your family. Make sure you are absolutely ready to make this commitment to care and nurture it.
Here are some reasons that will help you understand why pet reptiles are good for children.
Why Reptiles Make Good Pets
You might feel hesitant to keep a reptile, such as a snake(or anything similar), as a pet because just looking at them might give you the chills. That perception is about to change once you find out how beneficial these reptiles can be for your child.
Reptiles Are Scholastic
Having a pet reptile will give your child an opportunity on how to be responsible. Your child will be able to learn about the needs of wild animals, how to take care of them, the kind of environment they like living in, and, most importantly, they will learn to respect wild animals.
Young children are very curious, hence they will ask a lot of questions and discover a lot of things. Reptiles will encourage curiosity and a broader mind in your child which will help them when they grow up and appreciate the real world.
Reptiles Are Great Companions
Children always want a companion, someone to play and talk with. As adults, that’s pretty hard for us sometimes when we have to work and do other household chores. Reptiles, on the other hand, can do the job for you just fine.
Kids have plenty to talk about and, just like a good friend, a reptile will be all ears. Children love talking to their pets as pets do not judge like humans do and are happy listeners.
So why are they a better companion than dogs or cats or any other animals? Reptiles are easy to care for and less time-consuming. You do not need to constantly feed them or cuddle them for assurance. So, if you are a busy person, keeping a pet reptile is the best bet. They also require little space. All you need is a small tank somewhere in your home.
Reptiles Are Not Expensive
Compared to other furry friends, maintaining and feeding reptiles are quite cheap. The initial set-up cost might be a little expensive, but if you look at the overall costs, they’re pretty affordable.
For instance, if you choose a snake, feeding them would cost you about £1per week. If you opt for lizards, particularly ones that look like dragons, it might cost you £5 per week. That is still less expensive than having cats or dogs.
If your pet reptile has a diet of superworms, then you can purchase them on topflightdubai.com.
Important Things to Know About Reptiles
Everything has its benefits and risks, therefore, there are some important things to keep in mind before you jump into buying a pet reptile.
- Reptiles are animals from the wild. Their natural instinct would be to bite and scratch if they feel intimidated. Nevertheless, if you have been matched with the right one, the chances of this happening are rare. Even if they do, most bites and scratches are minimally invasive in comparison to other animals, but they will still possess some risks.
- Just like humans, animals tend to get sick and luckily there are many pet reptile insurances available. Make a list of the local vets in your area and be prepared to take the necessary steps to help your pet.
- Reptiles such as snakes can live for a very long time, approximately more than 20 years. So, even though your child might have grown up and moved out of the house, you won’t have to worry about living on your own. If you don’t want to look after them anymore you can just give the reptile to a pet reptile center.
- Salmonella is a bacteria most commonly carried by reptiles that can cause a lot of severe diseases. It is best to not let your children handle the reptiles without the supervision of an expert or adult. Educate your child about the risks and make sure they wash their hands thoroughly after cleaning the tanks or touching the reptile. Your kids may want to plant a kiss on their pet reptile – that is a very dangerous thing to do, as it puts your child at the risk of contracting salmonellosis.
- Different reptiles need different levels of care. Choose one depending on your lifestyle and how much time you are willing to invest.
A Good Reptile Deserves a Good Home and a Caring Owner
By now there is a higher chance of you going to purchase a beautiful reptile for your children back at home. Before you make a choice, make sure to do some background research. It is better to have an idea about the habitat and food requirements of the reptile.
Also, do not just pick one because it looks gorgeous. Pick one that you know you can adequately provide for. So if you are ready, take your family, go on a trip to your nearest pet store and get ready to welcome a new member to the home.