Where there are sales, product returns prevails. Businesses must maintain a comprehensive policy that defines the policy of returned goods. This way, you can manage returned goods adequately, and also keep them to a minimum. Ensure that the returns are not because of any manufacturing defects in the products, it will result in a bad reputation, low sales, lost customers, etc. Many consumers believe that returning goods is cumbersome, causes a lot of inconveniences, and is painfully slow.
Even product returns can be used as a competitive advantage when they are appropriately handled. By managing things properly, revenue increases, production costs are reduced and helps retain more consumers. It is recommended for companies to maintain a
a comprehensive policy for returned goods so that they can help businesses increase sales strategically and maximize consumer loyalty.
Ways of Managing Returns efficiently:
- Ensure that your procedures for returning goods are effortless and convenient for consumers. Consumers see returning goods as one of the most painful procedures, and they feel inconvenienced. When the process is easy, they will be happy to do business with you. Put labels on the products so that you know which product is returned. Also, ensure that your consumers will not have to face issues while returning a defective product. When it is time for unloading, the process should be efficient and done on time.
- Ensure that you have documented the return policy perfectly well so that each customer can access it conveniently. Post it on the web if your products are available online and print hard copies of the same so that you can provide one with every product. This will ensure that your customers are known for the terms and conditions associated with the return of products. Hence, if they feel convenient and safe, then they can go ahead with the decision.
- Do not show the cost that is incurred on the returns of the product. Since consumers see that, they will hurt your brand as a whole. Include the cost of returns in the pricing of the overall product. This will help to minimize the expenses incurred for overheads that are included when products are returned. Also, look for the reason behind returning the product, and do a quality assurance check.
- Also, establish a return process that allows for the returned products so that businesses can refurbish or resell them. If there are no significant defects in the product or the consumer has returned it because of some other issue, then manufacturers can choose to resell them. Limit scrap so that return costs are cut down significantly even when the consumers return the products. Also, communicate the reasons for returning a product well to the design teams or the communication team.
Work towards minimizing the rate of return means that companies don’t have to go through the hassle of managing complaints and comments.
- Companies should put strategic policies in place to efficiently manage returns that are controllable and uncontrollable. This way, a company will ensure that the manufacturing defects are shallow and that the consumers will not return products quite often. The number of returns experienced by the company over some time reduces. Also, use a courier service that is reliable and efficient. They will take care of fragile goods, and the ones that need careful handling. If the company doesn’t pay attention to shipment handling, then there are possibilities that the courier company damages your product. Plus, it’ll add more queue to your already existing inventory and hurts inventory management.
There is a multitude of reasons due to which consumers return the products. Goods sold on the web should have clear return policies. This way, consumers don’t feel they will have to go through a lot of pain if they return them. Return policies are an essential aspect of the retail world for eCommerce sites. Return of products should not be seen as an evil and as an inevitable process. Companies should work towards making it simpler for consumers to return items. However, if there are faults in the products, then consumers will return them regardless of the return policies.