Eating and moving are two of the most basic functions of a human being. Yet when we develop certain bad conditions of the body, we wonder aloud- what treatment should I begin immediately? A better approach to fighting off any condition that occupies your worries is to go back to the basics- to eating and doing right. Enlarged prostate is a natural condition in men. Usually, it never escalates to anything more serious than having to visit the restroom often. However, there are certain risks attached to an enlarged prostate and in this article, we will attempt to break down the lifestyle habits that one can adopt to prevent the development of any serious condition. You can contact a Miami urologist at Gousse Urology for Enlarged Prostate Diagnosis & Treatment Options.
Remember These If You Are Suffering From An Enlarged Prostate
What To Eat?
Fad diets are everywhere. Magic mushroom diet, cute kale diet, and cool cucumber diet- stay away from all these as dieticians, scientists, and physicians have found no link connecting fad diets and management of an enlarged prostate. We learned about the benefits of a balanced meal in elementary school and it would serve us well to follow this advice to the t. Here are a few tips:
- Five servings of fresh fruits and vegetables. Yes, the ones that look like forests and flowers with a variety of colors. The various bright colors of fruits and vegetables come from very specific antioxidants, phytonutrients, and nutrients and it is generally considered that the richness of these elements is directly proportional to the depth of color in these fruits and vegetables.
- Dietary fiber plays another important role. Fibers are natural plant compounds that pass unchanged through the digestive tract. The task of fiber is to keep you full and delay fat absorption. Since they help in maintaining a healthy gut function and aid in overall weight loss- they are said to help with the symptoms of an enlarged prostate. Certain studies have suggested that dietary fiber reduces the risk of prostate cancer development. Looks like you have just found your best diet friend.
- If you are suffering from the symptoms of an enlarged prostate, it is time to listen to your vegan friend and cut down on meat of all kinds. Especially red meat and processed meat which comes in all shapes and sizes.
- Trans fats are to be avoided at all costs. Not only are they associated with aggravating the symptoms of an enlarged prostate, but they also are not helpful with any body condition.
- Avoid the excessive use of both salt and sugar. They tamper with the essential functions of the body such as blood pressure and regulation of blood sugar and can do no good. A moderate amount is essential but difficult to maintain as food products now have salt and sugar in forms that are not easily recognized by the common man. Therefore, make it a point to educate yourself on the various labels of food items and buy accordingly.
What To Do?
The short answer to the above question is to move. If you are yearning for the long answer with proofs, read on:
- A study titled Health Professionals Follows Up Study comprising over 30,000 men found an inverse relationship between men who were physically active and Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia symptoms. Even light to moderate physical activity like brisk walking helped in the symptoms.
- The data from the above study was used to determine the correlation between erectile dysfunction and exercise. This revealed that men who did about 3 hours of rigorous outdoor work per week were at 20% lesser risk of developing the condition than those who didn’t exercise at all. Men who were overweight and had a skewed body mass index were pegged at a higher risk of developing advanced symptoms of ED and BPH.
- Another study by Italian researchers assigned aerobic and non-aerobic forms of exercise to 231 men with chronic prostatitis. One group performed the aerobic version like brisk walking and the other performed non-aerobic versions like sit up, leg lifts, etc. Both the groups experienced improved symptoms but the aerobic group felt a tad bit better than the other group in terms of discomfort, depression, and quality of life.
Now if you combine this knowledge with required actions, you will find it easier to beat Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia.