Auto accidents have become quite commonplace and result in emotional trauma, damages to your personal property, bodily injuries, or mental distress. All of these consequences result in additional and unforeseen costs. Even if you are insured, these costs are a completely unnecessary burden. That’s why you need an automobile car accident attorney.
The good news can use legal means to claim compensation for the losses you experienced because of the person who injured you in a civil lawsuit. An auto car accident attorney can assist you with investigating your situation, determining who is liable, and ensuring you will be awarded compensation for what happened to you.
What Should You Do After Your Auto Accident?
There are certain steps to follow if you were just in an auto accident:
- Most importantly, do not say anything apart from providing your contact and insurance information. What you choose to say can construe as admitting fault and is, therefore, best not to talk about it at all.
- Assess what happened to you and how you physically feel first. Call emergency services if necessary if they have not already come to the scene of the accident. Visit the emergency room ASAP so your injuries can be evaluated even if you are not apparently or noticeably injured. Keep records, notes, and photographic proof of what you endured- weston car accident attorney will help you make the most of what evidence you have.
- Get the contact details of the people involved.
- Get contact information from any bystanders who may have witnessed the accident or the events leading to it.
- Photograph the scene where it occurred.
- Get in touch with an injury lawyer so they can advise you on what to do next.
- Report the situation over to the nearest police station. Although you have to report what happened and make a statement within a couple of days, you should definitely not do this until you speak to an attorney.
When Exactly Do You Call a Car Accident Attorney?
It isn’t a legal requirement to have a lawyer by your side to file a claim. However, even if it was just a small accident with minimal damage done and no outward injuries, it is still recommended to contact an attorney.
They tell you exactly how to proceed and what you should or shouldn’t say. They will also investigate your case to determine who fault it was that caused the situation in the first place. Determining fault is extremely important because this will determine whether or not you can claim compensation for damages and the amount or percentage of the total compensation that will be awarded.
A car accident attorney will also help you determine what types of damages or losses can form part of your accident claim. A claim can include the following:
- Medical expenses
- Loss of wages
- Damage to a car or other property
- Suffering or pain
- Emotional and/or mental trauma
- Loss of consortium
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Punitive damages
Although a clear and exact monetary value can be attributed to medical expenses, loss of income, and damage to property, a proposed financial value will be applied to the other types of damages. It is also important to take into account any future medical treatment may that be necessary such as rehabilitation or nursing care as well as a future loss of income.
These future expenses can increase a personal injury claim greatly – especially where an injury resulted in a permanent physical or mental disability. Most often, lawyers and insurance companies will not provide for these when they offer to settle the claim outside of the courthouse. Never accept a settlement offer before speaking to an attorney.
Settling out of court is often preferable because it saves time, money, and the uncertainty of the outcome that often accompanies court trials. A car accident attorney will use their skills and experience to negotiate a fair settlement on your behalf and present your case in court if a settlement agreement cannot be reached out of court.